SORA is the world's first and largest open access ornithological publications archive. This resource is the product of collaborations between the American Ornithologists Union, the Cooper Ornithological Society, the Association of Field Ornithologists, the Wilson Ornithological Society and the University of New Mexico Libraries. SORA provides access to an extensive library of ornithological literature of international scope, and detailed material documenting the history of ornithology in North America over the last 120 years. SORA users can both browse and search through journal titles, and individual articles can be downloaded as PDF files.
The Searchable Ornithological Research Archive has just been upgraded to Drupal 7.x - updates include security and stability patches that will improve SORA search and website performance.
Special Note: We have received a number of inquiries about the new user account feature in SORA. Please note that you do not need a user account to search, browse or download SORA articles. User accounts are an optional feature that provide added benefits; SORA remains a free and open access scientific repository.
All of these improvements have been needed for some time, and the UNM Libraries SORA team appreciates your collective patience; it has taken a little over a year to convert the entire SORA article holdings and prepare the new site for production. A number of ongoing improvements - such as better search tools - are still in the works for 2013, and as with any major system upgrade, there are a countless number of small details that still require attention. If you have trouble with any of the new features or notice a fix that needs to be made, please send the SORA team an email using the CONTACT US link on the top menu bar.
A summary of SORA’s new features and guidance on how to use them is provided below. Additional tutorials and user assistance can also be found on in the Help section of the site (click the HELP link on the top menu bar).
New and Improved SORA Features
- Browse for Articles
- All SORA journals, issues and articles can be accessed through the Browse Publications menu.
- To begin, click the title of the journal you wish to browse under the Browse Publications section on the left menu bar – an index page will open listing the volumes available on SORA.
- Continue clicking the links to the volumes and issues you wish to view; each volume and issue has its own contents page.
- Select the article you wish to view on a journal issue contents page; click the title of the article to view the article’s online record.
- Each article record lists the article’s title and citation information. At the bottom of the article you will find an Attachments section which displays links to the complete article text in PDF format. Click the PDF link to open and display the article.
- Search for Articles
- Use the Quick Search box in the top right corner of the page to perform basic searches for articles. You can search using one or more key terms, including title, subject and author.
- Separate multiple search terms with a blank space. For example, the keywords ‘Raikow Passerine’ will return the article on Passerines by author Raikow. Multiple key terms may also be searched. For example, ‘Black-throated Sparrow’ will return articles containing that phrase.
- More granular search tools are under development and will be implemented in early 2013.
- Faster, Easier Article Updates
- A major improvement to SORA is that each journal publisher will now be able to add incremental updates to their holdings by themselves, with limited need of technical assistance. Publishers will be able to upload articles, issues, and edit journal indexes online. Technical support will still be available for large-scale updates and new journals. Journal content providers will need to register for a user account so they can upload new articles and issues into SORA.
- More information about adding and updating SORA article content is available on the SORA Contributor Guidelines page.
- User Accounts
- User accounts are a new, optional feature for general SORA users that provide many features to enhance the user experience (see below). Please note that you do not need a user account to search, browse or download SORA articles.
- Social Media Features
- Registered SORA users are able to create their own blogs, rate and comment on articles, and post their own photographs and documents to the site.
- Sharing Article URLs: At the bottom of each article page, you will find a green ‘Share’ icon – click the icon to display the article URL which can be copied into email or posted on an external web page.
- New Server Platform
- SORA now runs on the Drupal 6.27 Content Management System – a platform that is both highly popular and well-tested for content-driven web sites. The Drupal CMS system will enable SORA to grow and evolve as an online service, and engage SORA users in ways that were not heretofore possible.