American Birding Association
About the American Birding Association
The ABA is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides leadership to birders by increasing their knowledge, skills, and enjoyment of birding. We are the only organization in North America that specifically caters to recreational birders. We also contribute to bird and bird habitat conservation through our varied programs.
- The American Birding Association inspires all people to enjoy and protect wild birds.
- The American Birding Association represents the North American birding community and supports birders through publications, conferences, workshops, tours, partnerships, and networks.
- The ABA's education programs promote birding skills, ornithological knowledge, and the development of a conservation ethic.
- The ABA encourages birders to apply their skills to help conserve birds and their habitats, and we represent the interests of birders in planning and legislative arenas.
Previously published as part of Bird Lore, Audubon Field Notes, and later American Birds, American Birding Association now produces North American Birds (formerly as Field Notes), the 'journal of record' for birders. The mission of the journal is to provide a complete overview of the changing panorama of North America's birdlife, including outstanding records, range extensions and contractions, population dynamics, and changes in migration patterns or seasonal occurrence.
Each issue of North American Birds contains thirty-four regional reports, organized in taxonomic order and produced by some of North America's top birders. In addition, each issue also contains a comprehensive summary, and a variety of birding reports.
Articles on outstanding bird records augment the regional reports and North American Birds now includes color photos of the most interesting birds of the season in the "Pictorial Highlights" section. North American Birds also publishes reviews of major distribution patterns, and other topics that are linked to the regional reports.
American Birding Association Publications Available on SORA:
- American Birds
- National Audubon Society Field Notes
- North American Birds
For more information on the ABA or its publications, please visit the American Birding Association website.