Western Birds, Volume 40, Number 2 (2009)
- Birds of the Ketchikan Area, Southeast Alaska. 54.
- Steven C. Heinl and Andrew W. Piston.
- Book Reviews. 145.
- Paul Hess, Eugene S. Hunn, and John Thomas.
- Featured Photo: Regional Phenotypic Variation in the Sooty Grouse. 152.
- Michael A. Schroeder, Steven C. Heinl, Andrew W. Piston, and Fred C. Zwickel.
- Western Field Ornithologists 34th Annual Meeting. 155.
Front cover photo by © Andrew W. Piston of Ward Cove, Alaska: Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens), at its nest in a cavity in a stump at Vallenar Bay, Gravina Island, Alaska, 4 June 2006.
Back cover "Featured Photos" by © Michael A. Schroeder of Bridgeport, Washington: (top) Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus), male near Turner Valley, Alberta, 14 May 2005. This male has red apteria on the neck, apparently typical of all Dusky Grouse; (bottom) Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuliginosus), male south of Terrace, British Columbia, 15 May 2008. Red apteria appear to be the rule in Sooty Grouse from Terrace north through southeastern Alaska, rather than yellow as they are farther south.